Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cicero's Dust












Are we who he says we are? It seems
Both true and untrue, sane and insane
Yet all the same, beyond the power to deny

For...

There is a stillness at the heart of being
A quiet awe, a reverence amidst the clash
Of battles, sorrow, anguished falls
And prizes lost and blood that runs
A quiet spanning back and deep
Inside a tunnel round and endless
Where light never fades

There is a memory, only shadowed, flick'ring
A glimpse within each cell, within each mind
Apart from any stilted credo
In and through each everything we are
Forlorn and distant from that place
Preceding hour or day

And all those notions that we can't but scorn
When thinking thoughts in rightest, sharpest mind
Well up from under reason's gloss
Like clovers through a mortared stone
Who can shout them down, or chase
Them into nothingness?

We come, he says, from out there, from the stars
From gods who created us, some race of unknowns
Yet known through echoes of intuition
We live, he says, forever, somehow,
Some way, more than dusty dust
He says, "We have some other sort
inside" -

A diamond dust of the divine
For all our madness. He says
He knows it, feels it, knows it,
Knows it, knows it, knows it.

I feel it, too, but do not know it
I sense it, but cannot grasp it
I see it, but cannot describe it
I love it, but cannot fathom what it is
That stillness at the heart of being

26 comments:

rachael said...

Powerfull. An excellent read.

smile said...

simply beautiful.

JessicaS said...

Beautiful:)

Anonymous said...

Nice. Are these lyrics, or poetry?

Anonymous said...

How sad and tragic.

Tal said...

Is it tragic that I don't think this has anything to do with JS's weird cult? lol

Anonymous said...

How did JS get into this?

Tal said...

Thought you might be another cult fanatic - they dog me now and again :)

Anonymous said...

Will we be hearing this on your next album?

Anonymous said...

Hey dude - not everything is an attack on you by ex church members.

anon said...

That poem is very sad and very moving. Thank you.

Tal said...

"Hey dude - not everything is an attack on you by ex church members."

---Yes, you're right. Let's just say I've gotten a lot of disturbing emails over the past five years from cult loons, and I sort of expect it now...

Most start like this:

"I feel very sorry for you. What has happened to you is very sad." Then then go on to accuse me of having secretly committed a great sin (adultery is a perennial favourite), which I left the church so as to avoid having to acknowledge, and then conclude either with an impassioned plea for me to come back to the "true church", which they are convinced I secretly know is God's only true religion, or else, something very nasty.

For some reason, very many of these emails have very poor spelling and grammar; it is shocking.

Anyway, I know what it's like to be in that state of mind so it's not like I'm angry about it. Just kind of tired of it.

Anonymous said...

The Holy Ghost is giving you bad information on who anonymous posters are, man. You better stop listening to him.

smile said...

Why are ex church members attacking you? Seems they would be for you, not against you...

ginamarie said...

Heh, did you get taken off the Church roster, Tal? I remember when I gave them written notice to do so in the 90's I swear they probably didn't because they thought I was being pressured from an outside source to leave (and hence would some day come to my senses and return). Shit, I had been inactive since, like 1980! How can one find out if you have been removed?

Tal said...

Smile

Arg, I'm blushing with embarrassment. I read Anonymous's post so fast that I missed the word "ex"!

I thought he meant church members. I've gotten lots of critical emails from them, not ex-members.

Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I meant church members, not ex members. My bad. But I'm right about the Holy Ghost.

summermonsoon said...

you've got some crazy people writing you .. no wonder you need to write such beautiful words from such a deep place - it adds balance and hopefully peace to your life :-) ..

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
smile said...

I still think it's beautiful.

(And you do seem to attract some pretty...um...negative comments.)

Dean said...

You have a wonderful talent.
Each of us must find some sense in this world. Your contribution through your writing and music, I'm sure, touches many many people.
I'm LDS and it saddens me to hear that some in the Church are anything but Christ-like in their comments.
Hold on to the truths that you have found and continue to share these with others.
God bless you, Tal.